Key Largo is a fishing community and was a nice place to be for a couple weeks. Marina Del Mar had good ratings and it was ok but not as nice as Marlin Bay in Marathon. Eric and Kristen Penington flew a rented plane into Homestead, FL for a weekend visit. This is Eric’s third visit on the loop and he now holds the record. We all went on a deep sea fishing charter on a slightly rough day and did fairly well. The next day we took our boat out to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park for a day trip and had a grounding disaster on the way back. I ended up on the rocks off the channel and had to call Tow Boat US to pull me out. After replacing all 4 props on Thursday and a trial run, reluctantly, Val and I set off for a 177 mile run to Chub Cay, Bahamas on Friday the 14th. Happy Valentines day. We contracted with weatherman Chris Parker to make sure that our travels across the 55 mile wide Gulf Stream would be uneventful, and it was a perfect day for our 7.5 hour crossing. Chub Cay is a world renowned fishing port and even though our boat was one of the nicest in Key Largo, our boat is merely a pilot sized boat to the 70′ Viking fishing boats and 150′ mega yachts that are in this harbor. Our plans are to stay here for one month and either look for a weather window to head back to Florida or continue on to Spanish Wells on Eleuthera, so many decisions. Believe it or not, I am getting tired of eating fresh fish every day and sometimes all day. Some fisherman are giving us lobsters, Mahi Mahi, and Wahoo and we have been catching our fair share of fish out of the dinghy when we are not at the very nice pool. That is actually the only things to do here, fish and the pool.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than the ones you did do, so throw off the bowlines, sail away from safe harbor, catch the trade winds in you your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover.” -Mark Twain 1835-1910
Tip of the day: My new favorite way to grill fish is in tin foil with butter and soy sauce.
- Face Book Posts:
- Carmen Mamo So beautiful. You guys must be having the time of you life. So great❤️
- David Mamo We found one of the best beaches we ever saw today. Had the whole beach to ourselves.
- David Mamo Photo credits on this pic go to new FB friends Betsy and Jeff
- Linda Reed Awesome so envious and jealous
- Jeanne Wunderle How perfect!
- Barbara Henk So happy for you two! How wonderful!
- Karen Craddock Mattson How beautiful
- Susan Demorizi Oh my gosh, this is gorgeous!
- Carmen Mamo How romantic .
- Joanne Dettloff Awesome! Jealous! Enjoy!
- Bud Pennington All of your pics are great! Thanks for taking us all along with you! ?