Charleston was our last stop on the loop for now. We spent almost three weeks at the Charleston City Marina contemplating what to do since the delayed, May 15th Erie Canal opening date, did not have a clear opening date. We had reservations to work our way up to the Chesapeake Bay and spend one month at Anchorage Marina in downtown Baltimore, MD to wait for the opening of the Erie Canal. We also had plans to take the boat back south to Florida or Hilton Head and leave it for the summer and return next fall. We decided instead to truck Sea Major back to Michigan and trade her in for a Tiara C44 Coupe in Harbor Springs, MI. In our travels of looking for a winter home in Florida, it was clear to us that we did not want to settle down to one location. We want to liveaboard and travel by boat in Florida and the Bahamas during the winters for at least another 5 or 6 years.
Charleston was a nice town with much history but most of the restaurants and attractions were still closed up. On May 20,2020, We rented a 16′ Penske truck and loaded it up with the dinghy, 85 boxes of stuff, and drove 15 hours back to Milford, MI.
It is our intention to head back south for the winter completing the remainder of the loop via the Erie Canal backwards and crossing our wake in Charleston, SC. Stay tuned for the rest of the story.
With approximately 2,000 more miles to complete our loop, here is an update of our stats: 4,806 miles traveled , 302 hours traveling with a cruising speed of 30 mph and an average speed of 16 mph, 4,643 gallons of diesel used including running generator while under way, 39 weeks on Loop with1 night anchored out.
Tip of the day: If you have patience and can wait, no matter how bad things seem, the waters will always settle.
The Milford Times called us for an article. Coronavirus wave overtakes Milford boaters in midst of year-long America’s Great Loop trip
Susan Bromley, Hometownlife.com Published 8:12 a.m. ET June 1, 2020
- Don MamoGreat read , it didn’t end the way you planned but what a journey
- Connie Naudi Yay!Applause!
- Troy ParentWhat a great story Dave Safe travels for the remainder of your trip
- Karen PreissWhat a great story, a trip of a lifetime!!
- Bud PenningtonYou guys are famous now!!!You’ve got your story in the Milford Times!!!!Great story, I’m glad you’re safe!
- Marla SmithCool!
- Gayle Court SpiteriYou’re both famous!A trip of a lifetime!!
- Tammy MamoI enjoyed reading this, learned a few things too. Thanks for sharing
- Joe MamoNice story Dave. Hope you get to finish it someday.
- Diane HurychNice story. Glad you’re home safe
- Barbara HenkJust glad you both made it back safely. Such a wonderful adventure!
- Diane ThomasSo glad you had your dream of so many years come true…that’s a WIN in itself many of us only get the dream. World circumstances certainly changed the end of your trip but you guys got the trip of a lifetime. Continue to keep us posted on your journey… See More
- Valerie MamoThanks Diane, will do.
- Kimberly KottsWhat a wonderful journey!!! So happy for you bothConnie NaudiAppluase
- Connie NaudiGreetings from Malta
- Don MamoMake smart decisions and everything else doesn’t matter
- Patricia Langell ? 1
- Cindy YassayIt’s been exciting to see you get that far. Let us know when you get home. Safe travels among the amped up land restrictions.
- Valerie MamoCindy Yassay will do thx. Be thinking of a new boat name.
- Bud PenningtonDave and Val,What a wonderful trip you have taken us on!Thank you so much for including us on your journey!!!… See Valerie MamoBud Pennington Thank you! We still have 2000 miles to complete the loop so stay tuned.1
- Katie BrownBeen thinking of you guys lately, love following your journey! Can’t wait to see what boat is next! stay well! 1
- Valerie MamoKatie Brown It was our pleasure docking next to you guys in Marathon. I won’t forget honorary Grandma to your adorable Stevie. Keep in touch . We plan on being in Marathon next Jan& Feb. see you?1
- Katie BrownThere’s a very good chance of that! We will most definitely keep in touch, we talk about marathon a lot and you’re a part of that memory!
- Tammy MamoSafe travels for you and Val.
- Jeanne WunderleWhat an amazing trip! Thanks for sharing the ride with us! Looking forward to your next adventure.
- Valerie MamoJeanne Wunderle Thx. Will do
- Cesolin TesolinSuch an incredible journey for you both. How memories are made Glad you’ll be home soon, safe and on solid ground
- Betsy SullivanWe are definitely hooked on boating life. Meeting you and Dave was a highlight. Curious what boat is in your future. We are exploring.
- Valerie MamoBetsy Sullivan 2020 Tiara 44 coupe. Are you looking for a live aboard for traveling?
- David MamoThis is our last loop sunset picture from Charleston City Marina. We may resume and complete the loop this fall backward from home again. We are trucking her home for the summer.